Is there a technique?
Some people have told me to do lots of fanart, like... great freaky fanart like Dan Luvisi or Dave Rapoza style.
- What do I think:
I think that people in majority don't have the slightest idea about image construction. Composition, color balance, values, design, etc, etc. They don't know shit. But they have a feeling about how things should look like and they like shit around, because of a ...gut feeling. That feeling is all the things above that I mentioned but without really knowing they exist. Is like. When you have a feeling you shouldn't do something, because it feels wrong. Well that's your instinct telling you "you don't know shit about this, but somethings up that you didn't study for son".
- Why do I think people like fanart:
Fanart is about characters we already know and that we're all fans about. Like popular characters. People like those characters, know those characters and above all, LOVE those characters. And what does people like the most these days? Is to get involved at stuff. Like "uuuuuh I know those guys! They're my favorite blah blah blah!". That's a major rule about society these days. PEOPLE LOVE TO HAVE A SAY ON ANY SHIT and don't like to look like stupid fools on something they don't know about. Today people don't care about your character smart design, or your perfect landscape composition, or your sweet and delicate color arrangement, your eye catching and solid values. People like having something to say.
- I also think that great art shines by itself and gets the attention it deserves. Always. So being mediocre or part of the huge bunch of "artists" trying to make it out is going to be a hard time if you're seeking to be popular also. You should practice like... big time. Don't matter if you're under the shadow of the huge new wave of artist and illustrators. You shouldn't give a crap if they're 24 or 21 and working for D&D or Wizards of the Coast on their little super cool secret assignments. You work your ass off until you get so good, people will want to work with you.
- Some eye catching techniques fer paintin' like BAUSSSS:
Techniques that will make any viewer want to click the SHIT out of that little thumbnail they just passed by browsing the main gallery.
- Style: WHAT?! who the fuck is Brom. you wanna do some serious and realistic look on those characters? You studied in an atelier? Pff! ... the real Mandingo here does his shit Japanese style biAAAAtch. Throw some Anime on that shit, glossy skin and tinny noses, huge eyes. Nobody cares if they look all the same or if you made them with smudge tool all the way? BOOBS and ASS dude!! Boobs and ass indeed.
- Female: Put some real "gurl" on that shit, pornstar category. Some chick you would love to see coming and walking away from you. I mean ass, and tits yo. And show some skin for Christ sake!
- Armor: It's all about the SWAG yo! Wanna make that armor look "realistic"? Shut up. That's for wimp ass nerds. The real Yolo Mc Swag constructs an outfit that covers a 5% of the body and leaves out the vital organs. It isn't comfortable, it doesn't work, BAM! Looking hot B!
- Bling: Spell caster aren't we? Want to portrait a fine representation of a Baldur's Gate spell? Some... Charms Person? Magic Missiles?... SHUT UP. Put some plasma! Genkidama style. And saturate the shit out of that thing! Make it look like a major League of Legends 5 v/s 5 clusterfuck.
- Fur: You have some freaky secret sexual fantasy about your pet?!?!?!? That's ok man. Perfectly normal ............................ perfectly normal.
Paint that literal bitch with them six titteis and you'll get all the furry action you need bro. Animal instinct ftw!! YEH!
- Background: Nobody cares about that shit, just overlay a fucking image and put some filters on it. Some motion blur and we're all set!
- Details: J J Abrams has nothing to apologize for?! LENS FLARE MOTHERFUCKER! and Color Dodge the FUCK out of it.